I’ve made my first set of dominoes for my classes. I’m so excited about them.
I knew that I wanted to use them in my classroom but after some research, I decided against buying them. They either are pricey or they eat up the color ink in your printer. Therefore, I did what I quite often do…got crafty using what I had on hand.
Items that I used:
- card stock
- scrap construction paper
- glue (I had Aleen’s tacky but Elmer’s will work fine.)
- MS Word (not pictured)
- Laminator (not pictured)
- crayons or markers (not pictured)
I created a table on MS Word (10 rows by 4 columns, I didn’t want the pieces too small) and added the color words in Spanish in the 1st and 3rd columns. I decided to use 2 sheets per domino set.
Using scrap construction paper, I cut strips and then chopped them up into little pieces. I used my muffin tin to keep these pieces organized. My daughter helped me to glue the construction paper pieces to the boards.
We had to get creative with grey (gris). I didn’t have grey construction paper so I had my daughter color a sheet of paper grey with a crayon.
After they dried, I trimmed the blank border around the table to help cut down on the amount to be laminated.
Next, I flip the trimmed tables over and color them with a crayon. Both sheets for a set were colored the same color and each set getting a different color. I did this so that if I find the random domino piece on my floor, I know exactly which set it goes with.
Laminate the sheets.
Cut out the dominoes and put each set in a baggy. (My son lent a hand with this.) I made a total of 15 sets for a class of 30.
I can’t wait to bring these out in class. It’s hands on and an easy game for everyone to play! I already have plans to make more sets…adjective opposites, countries and capitals, and verb conjugation.